Together with the Berlin hub of Global Shapers, we conducted a full-day impact planning workshop in January 2023. Goal of the workshop was to support the hub members to identify the causes they really burn for, and to enable the hub leadership to identify new hub projects for the upcoming year. We used various tools from the Design Thinking toolbox to facilitate the workshop, having a fantastic day with the motivated team from Global Shapers Berlin!
Global Shapers is an impact community born out of the World Economic Forum, which organizes motivated young people in 150+ hubs across the world to tackle local, regional and global societal challenges. We worked with the Berlin hub of Global Shapers to conduct a novel workshop, in which 14 team members of the Berlin hub could identify the challenges the hub should tackle next.
The workshop day was organized along an Impact Canvas (see below). Overall, we conducted the following steps:
- The day was started with identifying each hub member’s personal motivations and causes, and sharing them among the hub members to create a common understanding.
- Next, the hub members formulated a tangible, measurable impact they would like to have to tackle the cause they burn for, and presented this target impact to each other in speed-dating rounds.
- Afterwards, the hub members were organized into groups of 3-5 people based on the similarity of the impacts they were striving to make. In these groups, the teams used typical Design Thinking methods (e.g. Brainwriting) to ideate and discuss potential solutions to the identified problems.
- Next, the teams created validation plans, to validate that the ideated solution would be a successful way to tackle the problems. Additionally, tangible next steps for the upcoming days and weeks were formulated and allocated among the team members.
- In a last step, each team member openly reflected the amount of commitment they were able to make to the new project, to create accountability among the team members and ensure a successful execution of the validation plan.
Among the potential solutions ideated at the workshop were:
- A cooking book enabling newcomers to Germany to find authentic ingredients for their traditional cuisines,
- An initiative to increase the transparency around sourcing of textiles and clothes,
- A school lessons concept to teach highschool students about the basics of entrepreneurship,
- and several more.
Overall, we from HATCH were very happy to conduct this workshop with the extremely motivated group from Global Shapers Berlin!